Collections

Historic Pittsburgh comprises a variety of primary and secondary sources from multiple partners about the greater Pittsburgh region, including a wide range of publications, maps, manuscripts, visual images, and audio-video materials, that support personal and scholarly research.

Tax-Book of Pitt Township, Allegheny County, Pa.

Contains a bound volume that is a copy of tax records from Pitt Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, from 1795 to 1798.

Contributor: University of Pittsburgh

Teenie Harris Photographs

Visual images from the 1920s-1970s taken by Pittsburgh photographer Charles “Teenie” Harris document life in the black communities of Pittsburgh, including weddings, funerals, family portraits, church events, street scenes, businessmen, and mill workers.

Contributor: Carnegie Museum of Art

The Bulletin, Pittsburg Bulletin, and The Bulletin Index

Issues of the Pittsburgh based society and cultural publication, The Bulletin, and its succeeding titles, the Pittsburg Bulletin, and The Bulletin Index from 1887 to 1949.

Contributor: University of Pittsburgh

Thomas Mellon Galey Photographs

Photographic prints and glass plate slides that depict motoring, racing, and motor wrecks in Pittsburgh and Florida. The collection also includes photo documentation of early Ford and Nash Motor Company automobiles, auto manufacturing in the early 1940s, and members of the Galey and Mellon families.

Contributor: Detre Library & Archives, Heinz History Center

Thomas Mellon and William B. Negley Day Book

Consists of a day book containing names of clients and records of payment from the seven-year partnership between Thomas Mellon, founder of Mellon Bank and patriarch of the Mellon family, and his nephew, William B. Negley.

Contributor: University of Pittsburgh

Trimble Company Records

Visual images from the 1920s-1950s show various building construction projects the Pittsburgh-based company undertook, including the Bell Telephone building, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad building, and various department store warehouses.

Contributor: Detre Library & Archives, Heinz History Center