H.H. Seiferth Sign Company Photographs

What's online?

Most of the images in the collection are online. A small amount of photographs were not scanned due to their condition.

What's in the entire collection?

The H.H. Seiferth Company Photographs primarily include images of outdoor signage created by the H.H. Seiferth Company for the storefronts of Pittsburgh businesses. Included in the collection are photographs documenting signs for the Frank & Seder store, Kaufmann's, Joseph Horne Co., the Rosenbaum Company, the Andrew A. Artz Café and Bar, F.C. Doeschner Furs, and other businesses. Also included are images of what is possibly the H.H. Seiferth Company office, a photograph of the Seiferth family, and news clippings about Jane Seiferth Markowitz.

About the United Jewish Federation

The H.H. Seiferth Sign Company was started by H.H. Seiferth in 1890 in an alley between Penn Avenue and Duquesne Way in downtown Pittsburgh. The company created signs for Pittsburgh retail businesses, factories, and political campaigns. It was located on Fancourt Street from 1919 until around 1950, when it was forced to relocate due to the development of the Point State Project. Following the move, the company had locations Water Street, East Street, and Fort Pitt Boulevard. In 1942, H.H. Seiferth passed away, leaving the shop to his daughter, Jane Seiferth Markowitz who became one Pittsburgh's few female business owners at that time.

(1 - 20 of 169)

Pages

Pages