Guide to the Congregation Ahavos Zedeck Records, 1900-c1954

Rauh Jewish Archives

Summary Information

Repository
Detre Library & Archives, Heinz History Center
Title
Congregation Ahavos Zedeck Records
Creator
Congregation Ahavos Zedeck
Collection Number
MSS#401
Date [inclusive]
1900-c1954
Extent
.5 linear feet (1 boxes)
Language of Materials
The material in this collection is in English.
Abstract
Congregation Ahavos Zedeck was founded in 1900 to serve the Jewish community in the Glenwood section of Pittsburgh; later the congregation served the Hazelwood area as well. The records consist of the Congregation’s minute book from 1920 to 1930, a photocopy of the minute book, an undated letter regarding the sale of the Congregation’s building to the Hazelwood Christian and Missionary Alliance, and the text of memorial inscriptions.

Preferred Citation

Congregation Ahavos Zedeck Records, 1900-c1954, MSS#401, Rauh Jewish Archives, Senator John Heinz History Center

Return to Table of Contents »


History

Congregation Ahavos Zedeck was founded in 1900 to serve the Jewish community in the Glenwood section of Pittsburgh; later the congregation served the Hazelwood area as well. Founding officers were Jacob Weinberger, Charles Weinberger, and Nathan Newman. In 1920 the congregation rented rooms on Second Avenue for its school and synagogue. In its early years, the congregation attempted to raise funds to maintain a rabbi. Efforts were also made to establish a cemetery and/or to purchase cemetery plots in the cemeteries of other Jewish congregations. After repeated attempts, the congregation succeeded in raising enough money to build a permanent home for the congregation; the cornerstone for the new building was laid on September 18, 1927. The Mothers’ Club, which supported educational and social activities, was officially affiliated as the congregation’s Sisterhood in 1929.

As the Jewish population of Glenwood and Hazelwood dwindled, it became more difficult for the congregation to support the maintenance of the building, or even to gather a minyan for High Holiday services. By the mid-1950s the congregation could no longer sustain itself, and the building was sold to the Hazelwood Christian Missionary Alliance Church.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

The Congregation Ahavos Zedeck Records are housed in one volume and two folders. The records consist of the Congregation’s minute book from 1920 to 1930, a photocopy of the minute book, an undated letter regarding the sale of the Congregation’s building to the Hazelwood Christian and Missionary Alliance, and the text of memorial inscriptions. The minute book consists of approximately 215 pages of minutes, followed by approximately 85 pages of financial reports. The Congregation’s minutes include information on membership, dues, social activities, educational programs, High Holy Days observances, and contributions to Jewish organizations. Recurring themes are the search for a suitable building to house the Congregation (a new building was completed in 1928), and an effort to buy lots for the Congregation in the cemeteries of other nearby Jewish congregations, namely Beth Shalom and Homestead. Family names on the memorial inscriptions are: Friedman, Spiegelman, Jacobs, Lebowitz, Eisenberg, and Kalson.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Rauh Jewish Archives Senator John Heinz History Center, October 2008

Senator John Heinz History Center
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Restrictions on Access

No Restrictions.

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with the Senator John Heinz History Center. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the Library and Archives of the Senator John Heinz History Center.

Acquisition Information

These materials came in one accession, in September, 1997.

Acc#1997.0286 Gift of David Spiegel, Willie Newman, Sidney Schwimer, Edward Wittlin, and Myer Rosenbloom, members of the Congregation.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Martha L. Berg in April 12, 2004.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

  BoxVolume
Minute book 1920-1930 1

Return to Table of Contents »


  Folder
Photocopy of minute book 1920-1930 1

Return to Table of Contents »


  Folder
Memorial inscriptions and letter regarding sale of building  n.d. 2

Return to Table of Contents »