Guide to the Records of the Ateleta Beneficial Society, 1930s-1997

Digital Research Library, University Library System

Summary Information

Repository
Detre Library & Archives, Heinz History Center
Title
Records of the Ateleta Beneficial Society
Creator
Ateleta Beneficial Society
Collection Number
MSS#354
Date [inclusive]
1930s-1997
Extent
1.75 cubic feet (3 boxes and 2 shelf volumes)
Language of Materials
The material in this collection is in English.
Abstract
Numerous immigrants from the town of Ateleta, Italy founded the Ateleta Beneficial Society on September 11, 1924 in Bloomfield (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). The founders created the society to provide mutual help to each other nationally and especially in the local area. This society got their legal recognition by the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County on May 5, 1925. These records include minutes, financial materials, male membership, female membership, and other sundry items.
Sponsor Note
This finding aid has been encoded as a part of the Historic Pittsburgh project a joint effort of the University of Pittsburgh and the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. Funding for this portion of the project has been donated by the Hillman Foundation.

Preferred Citation

Records of the Ateleta Beneficial Society, 1930s-1997, MSS #354, Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.

Return to Table of Contents »


Organizational History of the Ateleta Beneficial Society

Numerous immigrants from the town of Ateleta, Italy founded the Ateleta Beneficial Society on September 11, 1924 in Bloomfield (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). The founders created the society to provide mutual help to each other nationally and especially in the local area. This society got their legal recognition by the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County on May 5, 1925. As they received additional members, the society collected enough money to purchase their own building. The dedication of the building was on November 30, 1941 on Cedarville Street in Bloomfield.

The membership of Ateleta was formed primarily of male descendents from Ateleta, Italy. These male descendants made up the active members of the society. In later years, the organization began to take on non-ancestral members that became social members with the association. At first, Ateleta was only limited to men, but in the later years women councils began to form. As the members grew throughout the years, Ateleta became one of Pittsburgh's leading Italian organizations.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

These records include minutes, financial materials, male membership, female membership, and other sundry items. The minutes include business discussions and other information that relates to the society. The recorded meeting minutes are often topics that were raised and discussed during the evening's meeting. The financial materials consist of various items that include pledge forms, money receipts, deposit slips, checks and balances, membership dues, and other miscellaneous items. The membership materials are divided into male and female membership. Under male membership, it includes application forms, individual due books, social members list, and other miscellaneous items. The female membership includes different women councils of the Ateleta Beneficial Society such as the Bloomfield Ladies Council #28 and the Lanina Ladies Council #10. Other additional information in this collection falls under miscellaneous.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement

The Ateleta Beneficial Society Records are housed in 3 archival boxes and 2 shelf volumes.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Digital Research Library, University Library System  Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, Fall, 2003

Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
library@hswp.org

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permissions to reproduce or publish, please contact the curator of the Archives.

Acquisition Information

These materials came in two accessions in 1998 and 1999.

Acc# 1998.0207 and 1999.0027 Gift of Phil Mastroiani; (Records. Mr. Mastroiani was a Member of the Ateleta Beneficial Society and gave these records on behalf of the Ateleta.)

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Matthew W. Yount in 2002. Papers rearranged and inventory rewritten by  Robert O. Stakeley in October 2003.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Robert O. Stakeley on October 31, 2003.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Meeting Minutes  
  boxfolder
 1953-1954 11
  folder
 1955-1957 2
  folder
(Additional information from Volume II)  3

Return to Table of Contents »


Financial Materials  
  boxfolder
Bills, Receipts, and Statements  1930-1949 21
  folder
Blank Deposit Slips  (n.d.) 2
  folder
Checks and Balances  1953 3
  folder
Deposit Receipts  1968-1984 4
  folder
Miscellaneous  1940-1969 5
  folder
Money Receipts  1954-1959 6
  folder
Money Receipts  1959-1964 7
  folder
Payroll  (n.d.) 8
  folder
Pledge Forms (English)  (n.d.) 9
  folder
Pledge Forms (Italian)  (n.d.) 10
  folder
Recorded Dues  1947-1951 11
  folder
Rituals Booklets  (n.d.) 12

Return to Table of Contents »


Male Membership  
  boxfolder
Application Form  (n.d.) 31
  folder
"Autobiography of Emiliano (Emil) Lucente"  1992 2
  folder
Individual Due Books  (n.d.) 3
  folder
Miscellaneous  1950s 4
  folder
Miscellaneous  1951 5
  folder
Social Members List  (n.d.) 6

Return to Table of Contents »


Female Membership  
  folder
Bloomfield Ladies Council #28  1957 7
  folder
Lanina Ladies Council #10  (n.d) 8
  folder
Women Society  1950s 9

Return to Table of Contents »


Miscellaneous  
  folder
Anniversary-booklets and printed material  1967-1984 10
  folder
By-laws and constitution  (n.d.) 11
  folder
Historical  1939-1997 12
  folder
Letters  (n.d.) 13
  folder
Souvenir Program (dedication-new building, 341-343 Cedarville street)  1941 14
  folder
(Additional papers from Volume V)  1942-1970 15

Return to Table of Contents »