Guide to the Oversized Records of Kaufmann's Department Store, 1880s-2002

Repository
Heinz History Center
Title
Oversized Records of Kaufmann's Department Store
Creator
Kaufmann's Department Store
Collection Number
MSO#371
Extent
2.05 cubic feet (2 boxes and 1 shelf folder)
Date
1880s-2002
Abstract
Kaufmann's Department Store was founded in 1871 in Birmingham (Pittsburgh's South Side). A few years later they moved to the North Side, and then to its present downtown location on Smithfield Street between Fifth and Forbes Avenue. In 1946, Kaufmann's joined The May Company and as of 2003, has remained a regional division of The May Department Stores Company with stores in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Ohio. The oversized record collection consists of advertisements, booklets, a calendar, floor plans, newspaper clippings, shopping bags, and other sundry items. Floor plans for the 9th and 10th floor are present. The 10th floor plans illustrate the location of the executive offices, including Edgar Kaufmann's, and also the location of the in-store hospital.
Language
The material in this collection is in English.
Author
This guide to the collection was originally prepared by Robert O. Stakeley on February 14, 2003.
Sponsor
This finding aid has been encoded as a part of the Historic Pittsburgh project a joint effort of the University of Pittsburgh and the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. Funding for this portion of the project has been donated by the Hillman Foundation.
Publisher
Heinz History Center
Address
1212 Smallman St.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15222
library@heinzhistorycenter.org
URL: https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org

Historical Sketch of Kaufmann's Department Store

Kaufmann's Department Store was founded in 1871 in Birmingham (Pittsburgh's South Side) and was initially named J. Kaufmann & Brother, after Jacob (1849-1905) and Isaac (1851-1921) Kaufmann, two German-Jewish immigrant brothers. The business was originally a merchant-tailoring establishment located at 1916 Carson Street. Jacob was the first of four brothers to come to the United States. Isaac arrived in America in 1869, one year after Jacob. In addition to the tailoring, a small stock of men's ready-to-wear clothes was carried. Their small business recorded a successful $21,585 after the first year. In 1872, Morris (1858-1917), then fourteen years old, followed his older brothers, and, in 1876, twelve-year-old Henry (1860-1955) came. They were the sons of cattle dealer Abraham Kaufmann (1819-1896) and his wife Sarah Wolf Kaufmann (1820-1879). For a more detailed genealogical sketch of the Kaufmann family, please see the Kaufmann and Wolf families papers, MFF/MFQ #0295.

A series of moves was soon to follow. In 1872, the Kaufmann brothers moved their store to 1932 Carson Street. About 1875, a branch or second shop was opened on 141 Federal Street in Allegheny City (Pittsburgh's North Side). In 1877-1878, they moved to downtown Pittsburgh to 83 Smithfield Street and Diamond Street (now Forbes Avenue) and closed the North Side and South Side shops. The four-story building was also identified as "Kaufmann's Cheapest Corner." According to the Pittsburgh city directory, during the years of 1880-1883, their address was then 83, 85, and 87 or 83 to 87 Smithfield. It was also during this time, 1880-1881, as a result of the increased involvement and commitment of both Morris and Henry, that the business was now being identified as J. Kaufmann and Brothers. Through these series of moves and acquisitions of land and buildings, J. Kaufmann and Brothers continued to grow and in many cases double its store size.

As the business flourished, other physical innovations were made. In 1882, a grand staircase and electric chandeliers were installed. A hydraulic elevator was installed by 1885. Kaufmann's was one of the first buildings in the city to have electric lights installed in front of a store. In 1885, construction began on a new store at Fifth Avenue and Smithfield, and, in 1886, the "Grand Depot" opened. Kaufmann's had now occupied an entire city block along Smithfield and between Fifth and Diamond. The store was then known and advertised as both the "Grand Depot" and J. Kaufmann and Brothers. The building had a tower at the corner of Fifth and Smithfield, topped by a statue of the Goddess of Liberty holding aloft a flaming torch lighted by natural gas. By 1888, the store was advertised as "The Big Store" and began to carry women's clothing, housewares, and shoes. Since 1871, the store had been exclusively a men's store.

The Kaufmann brothers' business practices were revolutionary at the time. They printed the price of merchandise on cards that accompanied each item. "Fair dealings, one price to all", "sell to others as you would buy for yourself", and "good merchants make small profits and many sales" were their standards that created the foundation for success.

Around this time as well, on the corner of Fifth and Smithfield of the "Grand Depot" building, a free-standing, four-faced clock was installed which was said to have had a sign that read "Meet Me Under The Clock." A few years later in 1898 architect Charles Bickel completed the first section of the present Kaufmann's Department Store at Forbes Avenue and Smithfield. In 1913, Jannsen & Abbott completed the construction of the addition to this building at Fifth and Smithfield. During the demolition of the "Grand Depot" building, the original four-faced clock was removed. A new clock was not included in the renovation plans. Shortly, after public outcry, a giant bronze electric clock, which was built into the building itself, was installed. 1913 was also the year that the store was incorporated and thus became Kaufmann's Department Store, Inc. But the business was more commonly referred to as "The Big Store", Kaufmann's Department Store, or Kaufmann's.

A new era began with Edgar J. Kaufmann (1885-1955), son of one of the original founders, Morris Kaufmann. At the age of twenty-five, he became very active in the business. He graduated from Yale University and his prior work experience included Marshall Fields in Chicago, the Galleries LaFayette in Paris, and the Karstadt Department Stores in Hamburg. At Kaufmann's, he worked in every department, and, in 1920, he was named president. Called the "Merchant Prince", he had two offices, one large and modern designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and the other a former monastery taproom brought from Europe.

Under Edgar J. Kaufmann, Kaufmann's continued to develop substantially. The store obtained a more sophisticated image due to his appreciation, understanding, and devotion to art, fashion, and technology. In 1920, he built the North Side warehouse and installed 66 escalators. In 1926, he organized the "International Exposition of Arts and Industries", which consisted of almost 100 foreign exhibits and displays storewide. This would be the beginning of such events and promotions held at the store. In the mid 1920s, he established foreign buying offices in 27 cities abroad. On March 28, 1928, he made the first direct trans-Atlantic telephone call from Pittsburgh to Paris. Kaufmann's initiated and became the first store to engage in scientific product testing by establishing a relationship with Carnegie Institute of Technology, now Carnegie Mellon University, in order to provide its customers with the best quality merchandise.

In 1930 Kaufmann's opened its new and refurnished first floor and Arcade at the cost of more than $2,500,000. Architects were sent to Europe, and ideas were gathered from all over retail worlds and from artists' studios. Edgar J. Kaufmann commissioned Boardman Robinson (1876-1952) to do a series of mural paintings that instantly became an important part of the first floor. Entitled "Art in Industry", the series of ten murals depicted the history of commerce. Remodeling and redecoration included sleek black glass columns, diagonal aisles, fixtures of pale avodire wood from Africa, and "white" bronze metal work in the balconies.

On October 1, 1946, Kaufmann's joined the May Company, which was also the year of its 75th Diamond Jubilee Anniversary Celebration. Store promotions such as the first television show to be staged in Pittsburgh, an Employees' Hobby Fair, and an International Rose Show with 15,000 roses and 4,000 orchids were exhibited on the Eleventh Floor. Service employees wore 1871 era costumes, reminiscent of the days when Kaufmann's was founded, all through the month of June.

During the 1950s, Kaufmann's expanded their downtown location even though it was already the largest department store in the Tri-State district. Kaufmann's purchased the 19-story Frick Annex Building and the Carnegie-Illinois Building on Fifth Avenue. The Annex was redesigned to hold the service departments and the Fifth Avenue Carnegie-Illinois Building was razed to erect the new annex expansion building. It was built so that the floors connected in unbroken levels with the main store. A parking garage was also constructed. Installing a single unit air conditioning system and new elevators in 1951 were projects that continued to improve the stores image and reputation on a local and national level.

Kaufmann's continued to expand; but instead of moving from downtown and/or adding on to the current building(s), it looked into the suburbs. During the late 1950s, Kaufmann's began to plan for branch store or division expansion. The first independent freestanding department store was opened in Monroeville PA on March 6, 1961 and had a total floor space of 200,500 square feet. On August 3, 1965, the Mt. Lebanon PA store was opened to the public. Kaufmann's third store opened in the North Hills of Pittsburgh on April 19, 1966, and contained 180,000 square feet. The grand opening for the Steubenville OH store was April 1974. This store was the first branch store to be built in a shopping center and the first outside of Pennsylvania. Erie PA opened in 1975 in the Mill Creek Mall, and Greensburg PA officially opened on September 14, 1976. Building, consolidations, and mergers with other stores, during the late 1970s through the early 21st century in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and West Virginia, continued to increase the number of Kaufmann's Department Stores. The early to mid 1980s represented the beginning of the emphasis on mall locations. As of 2003, the downtown Pittsburgh store has remained Kaufmann's flagship store and part of The May Department Stores Company, with 16 stores in PA, 21 in OH, 14 in NY, and 1 in WV, bearing the Kaufmann's name.

Scope and Content Notes

The Kaufmann's Department Store oversized records are housed in two oversized archival boxes and one oversized corrugated board folder. Individual folder titles are arranged alphabetically per box. The collection consists of advertisements, booklets, a calendar, floor plans, newspaper clippings, shopping bags, full-page ads, and other sundry items. No delineations have been made for series or subseries due to the relatively small size and diverse content of the material. When researching Kaufmann's be sure to examine the Storagram (Kaufmann's newsletter published by and for Kaufmann employees) and the finding aids for the manuscript collection MSS #371, photograph collection MSP #371, and oversized photograph collection MSR #371, for related material by subject and/or date because much of this material was used to write and publish the Storagram. But some of the material is unique to the MSO and a comparison of the finding aids will indicate the similarities and differences. Of note are the advertising pieces and anniversary items. Floor plans for the 9th and 10th floor are also present. The 10th floor plans illustrate the location of the executive offices, including Edgar Kaufmann's, and also the location of the in-store hospital.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

These items came in three accessions from 1998-2002.

Acc# 2002.0158 Gift of Kaufmann's Department Store

Acc# 1998.0025 Gift of Kaufmann's Department Store

Collection formerly known as MFF #2074

Preferred Citation

Oversized Records of Kaufmann's Department Store, 1880s-2002, MSO# 371, Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Robert O. Stakeley on February 14, 2003.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Robert O. Stakeley on June 25, 2003.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permissions to reproduce or publish, please contact the curator of the Archives.

Subjects

    Corporate Names

    • Kaufmann's Department Store -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • The May Department Stores Company

    Personal Names

    • Edgar J. Kaufmann -- 1885-1955
    • Boardman Robinson -- 1876-1952

    Other Subjects

    • Business -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Business education -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Consolidation and merger of corporations -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Businessmen -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Department stores -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Department stores -- Employees -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Jewish families -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Jews -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
    • Merchants, Jewish -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh

Container List

Annex expansion, c1951-1955
Containers
Box 1, Folder 2
At Kaufmann's More Furniture than anywhere..., nd
Containers
Box 1, Folder 12
"The Best of Both Worlds": promotion by Harrods, 1968
Containers
Box 1, Folder 13
The Bulletin Index: Pittsburgh's Weekly Newsmagazine: "Retailing After Seventy Years" 1st Proof, 1941
Containers
Box 1, Folder 14
Calendar (color copy and original) - Kaufmann's Grand Depot, 1890
Containers
Box 1, Folder 15
Celebrate - opening of mall locations of Monroeville, South Hills, Beaver Valley, nd
Containers
Box 1, Folder 16
Floor plans: 9th and 10th floor, 1936-1950
Containers
Box 1, Folder (Shelf folder) 2
For a Taste of all the fun for kids now that the History Center's open, 1996
Containers
Box 1, Folder 17
Guess Journal, 1994
Containers
Box 1, Folder 18
Harvest Sale of Home needs, 1960
Containers
Box 1, Folder 19
Kaufmann's Dining Room Menu, 1945
Containers
Box 1, Folder 20
McCall Book of Fashions, 1915
Containers
Box 1, Folder 21
Oakdale Mall - Johnson City, NY, c1995-2002
Containers
Box 1, Folder 25
Shopping bags (3), nd
Containers
Box 1, Folder 26