Guide to the Greenstone United Methodist Church, Avalon, Pa. Records, 1810-1982 AIS.1985.13

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Greenstone United Methodist Church, Avalon, Pa. Records
Creator
Greenstone United Methodist Church (Avalon, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1985.13
Date
1810-1983
Extent
1.0 microfilm reel (695 frames)
Abstract
This collection contains the records of Greenstone United Methodist Church, which was known as the Bellevue Methodist Episcopal Church in the 19th century, located in Avalon, Pa., 1810-1983. It contains records of the pastors, members, deaths, births, marriages, and baptisms. Digital reproductions of the collection are available online.

Preferred Citation

Greenstone United Methodist Church, Avalon, Pa. Records, 1810-1983, AIS.1985.13, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Biography/History

The Greenstone United Methodist Church traces its origins to a Methodist Episcopal Class that formed in the residence of John Rodenbaugh’s home and was assigned to the Shenango Circuit in 1800. The Rodenbaugh home was located in what was then Ross Township near the intersection of Ivory and Perrysville Avenues. The Class was divided in 1812 with a new organization called the Robert Quaill’s Class. The organization constructed a log meeting house in 1813 on the Quaill farm near the Borough of Bellevue, today the property is the site of the congregations’ cemetery. They remained in this location until about 1830 when they removed to a location called “Hopewell” (the exact location of the Hopewell site has not been determined). By 1850, the congregation moved back to the Quaill farm near Jack’s Run Road where they constructed a chapel, which they named Fleming Chapel in memory of Rev. Thornton Fleming. During this period, the congregation was too small to have its own minister and was placed on a circuit of congregations served by a single clergyman. The circuits that included the Bellevue congregation were: Manchester Circuit, Allegheny Circuit, and the Bellevue-Blackburn Circuit. In 1875, a new building site was chosen and a frame church structure was built. This location is today known as 939 California Avenue, near the intersection of North Home Street, in Avalon. In 1906 the current building (third on this site) was constructed of stone that has a green hue, thus the church became known as the Greenstone Methodist Episcopal Church. In 2013, the congregation celebrated its 200th anniversary with Bishop Thomas Bickerton, resident Bishop of the Western Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, delivering the sermon during the Sunday commemoration service. In 2016, this congregation consisted of 405 members.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

Greenstone United Methodist Church was one of the earliest Methodist Episcopal churches in Western Pennsylvania, tracing its origin to ca. 1800 when a log house was constructed for worship on Maryland and Quail Avenues near Bellevue. The church was later relocated to Jack's Run, and finally on California Avenue, in Avalon, where it has been known as Bellevue Methodist Episcoal Church and now as Greenstone United Methodist Church because of the green stone and red tile materials used to construct the church. After 1931, a revolving lighted cross was placed a top the church.

This collection contains two series. These records span the years 1810-1983, but are erratic at times. The bulk of the materials are 1810-1818, 1858-1914, and 1924-1983. Series I includes pamphlets celebrating the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the church. Series II includes membership volumes and record books that contain class records, probationers, members in full connection, marriages, baptisms, appendix listing subscriptions to the denominational newspapers, deaths, and a historical sketch of Methodism in Bellevue, Pa.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, July 1988

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Renamed collection to better reflect provenance of records. February 13, 2017

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

These records were filmed by the Archives of Industrial Society and Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society from originals in possession of Bellevue Methodist Episcopal Church, Avalon, Pa., 1985.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by David Rosenberg in July, 1988.

Existence and Location of Copies

Digital reproductions of the collection are available online.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Bellevue Methodist Episcopal Church (Avalon, Pa.).
  • Greenstone United Methodist Church (Avalon, Pa.).
  • Methodist Episcopal Church. Allegheny Circuit (Pa.).
  • Methodist Episcopal Church. Shenango Circuit (Pa.).
  • Methodist Episcopal Church. -- Pennsylvania -- Avalon

Subject(s)

  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Methodist Church -- Pennsylvania -- Avalon

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Greenstone United Methodist Church, Avalon, Pa. Records, 1810-1983, AIS.1985.13, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Bellevue Methodist Episcopal Church, Avalon, Pa. Records, AIS.1985.13, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Anniversary Pamphlets 

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
100th and 150th Anniversary, 1913, 1963 331
Online

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Membership Volumes 

  Reel
Steward's Book for Shenango Circuit, 1810-1818 1
Online
  Reel
Journal of the Acts and Doings of the Quarterly Conference of Allegheny Circuit, 1858-1872 1
Online
  Reel
Record Book (Volume 3), 1876-1897 1

Contains: class records, probationers, members in full connection, marriages, baptisms, appendix listing subscriptions to the denominatoinal newspapers, 1889

Online
  Reel
Record Book (Volume 4), 1898-1906 1

Contains: historical sketch of Methodism in Bellevue, Pa. by Lester Smith (5-20-1906), followed by lists of probationers, members in full connection, baptisms, marriages

Online
  Reel
Record Book (Volume 5), 1906-1910, 1914 1

Contains: records of membership, marriages, baptisms, probationers

Online
  Reel
Record Book (Volume 6), 1924-1954 1

Contains: baptisms, marriages, deaths

Online
  Reel
Record Book (Volume 7), 1954-1983 1

Contains: full membership, baptisms, preparatory membership, marriages, deaths

Online

Return to Table of Contents »