Shadyside Hospital Records

What’s online?

The Shadyside Hospital online photographs include images of hospital buildings and facilities, staff, patients, events, and members of the Board of Trustees. A portion of these images were captured for hospital publications like The Voice of Shadyside Hospital newsletter.

What’s in the entire collection?

The Shadyside Hospital Records contain administrative records, meeting minutes, Ladies Association of Shadyside Hospital records, Shadyside Hospital Auxiliary records, School of Nursing records, publicity material and publications, blueprints and architectural drawings, and photographs.

About Shadyside Hospital

In 1866, John C. Burgher, Herman H. Hofmann, and Marcellin Coté, members of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Allegheny County, gathered donations to open a hospital dedicated to homeopathic medicine in Downtown Pittsburgh. The Homeopathic Hospital offered four services to patients: medical, surgical, obstetrics, and an outpatient dispensary. Dr. James Henderson McClelland, a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia, joined the hospital’s medical staff in 1868 and would remain a prominent figure with the organization, serving as Chairman for the Executive Committee from 1882 until his death in 1913. McClelland played a critical role in the hospital as it continued to grow and expand its services. In 1884, the Homeopathic Hospital established the first professional nurses' training school between Chicago and the East Coast.

Due to rising admissions, lack of space, and Downtown Pittsburgh's population growth, the Board of Trustees sought a new home for the hospital. In 1906 Alexander R. Peacock, a member of the Board of Trustees, donated $25,000 toward the purchase of land at the corner of Centre Avenue and Aiken Avenue in Pittsburgh's Shadyside neighborhood. Construction for the new hospital began in 1907 with C. Emil Müller as the architect. The new structure was completed in January 1910, dedicated on February 22, and opened its doors to patients on March 1, 1910. Due to the diminishing role of homeopathy in the care of patients and the rise of scientific advancements in medical care, the Board of Trustees renamed the hospital Shadyside Hospital in 1938.

During the 1960s and 1970s, Shadyside Hospital became known for its cardiology department and cardiac surgeries. In 1973 the hospital opened the Family Health Center to replace the dispensary as a place for those who did not have a regular family physician. In 1997 Shadyside Hospital became part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) network continuing its mission of providing medical care for the residents of Pittsburgh and the tri-state area.

The digitization of the Shadyside Hospital Records was supported by a grant from the Shadyside Hospital Foundation.

(1 - 20 of 100)

Pages

Pages