The Detre Library & Archives of the Heinz History Center has added several image collections to Historic Pittsburgh. The Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa) Photographs date from the 1870s through 1960s and includes images of the Alcoa’s founders, employees, factories, and products. The Eichleay Engineering Corporation Photographs date from 1892 through 1970 and primarily document Eichleay’s role in moving residences, businesses, and other large structures and objects. The Westinghouse Electric Corporation Photographs date between the 1880s and 1950s and document Westinghouse’s products, electric railroads, employees, factories, and exhibitions. The Bryce Brothers and Lenox Incorporated Glass Records date between the 1950s and 1980s and include depictions of glassware manufacturing, products, product displays, glass production facilities, and employees. The George Westinghouse Museum Collection dates between the 1860s and 1990s and includes images documenting facilities, products and employees of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation and Westinghouse Air Brake Company; George Westinghouse and his family; KDKA facilities and performers; World’s Fair exhibitions; and the Wilmerding, Pennsylvania area. The Mellon Bank Records date between the 1880s and 1970s and include photographs which depict the employees and founders, buildings, and promotional activities of Mellon Bank and its acquired financial establishments. The Samuel A. Musgrave Photographs date from 1946 through 1985 and document products, manufacturing processes, employees, buildings, and promotional activities of western Pennsylvania businesses and organizations, such as the Duquesne Light Company, the Pennsylvania Rubber Company, the Western Pennsylvania Electric League, Ketchum, MacLeod & Grove, and Alcoa. The PPG Industries Records photographs depict glass, chemical, and paint manufacturing as well as images of product promotion, employees, product development, community engagement, production facilities, and PPG Place.
All of these images have been digitized through a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.